Saturday, March 3, 2012

Is that a UFO?!

Time to dig out the UFO's from my sewing room and get back to work on them! I finished this simple and scrappy top this week and am working on another similar one. The squares were leftover from another project, so I made them into four-patches, added some sashings and viola, two cute tops.

Here's the first top:

My original layout was too simple and I started to really not like the plain, pink squares. So, I added some machine appliqued circles. They came out slightly puckered and I'm wondering if that is because the pink fabric is so thin?
I'm starting to put the second top together this morning and have decided to go with an on-point setting. Using the measurements on Bonnie Hunter's webpage, I am going to cut some side and corner triangles. Here's a link to the chart Bonnie so generously provided! http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/on-point-quilts.html



Now, which fabric to use for the setting triangles? And, with this layout, I'll need to make one more block to finish off that bottom corner. I tried for a wonky frame on these and learned something. You have to flip some of the blocks over and cut them from the back side, or else all of them turn out to be 'leaning' the same way when you slice up the sashings/frames.

I've recently discovered that I work best and am much happier when I am working on more than one project at a time. I get bored quickly with large on-going projects and will get up to stretch and just wander off and not return! So, I started keeping another piecing project on-hand to use as a leader/ender. In between the UFO's pieces, I am piecing on the latest mystery from Bonnie Hunter, Orca Bay. Such a beautiful quilt in the end, but boy-oh-boy, are there a lot of pieces! Not sure I am even half way done with Orca Bay. I tried to keep up with the cutting as Bonnie posted the steps during New Year's, with some piecing in between. My favorite part of this mystery was definitely the string blocks. I'll make a separate post about that quilt later. I'll leave you with a quick pic of my UFO in the machine and some tiny Orca Bay subunits ready to go in next.

No comments:

Post a Comment