Tuesday, April 3, 2012

And now for something completely different!

Here's a shot of the backing I pieced together for the UFO top in the last post. I used the leftover scraps from the main blocks to sew up some scrappy blocks for the back! Hardly wasted any fabric! I just love scrappy.

The larger pieces of pink on the sides was the last of a gifted bolt of fabric. I've used it in tote linings and quilt backs and now all that is left are some chunks and crumbs. To me, a chunk is anything smaller than a fat quarter and a crumb is anything bigger than a quarter (the coin) but smaller than say, my hand. I know, some people think it's nuts to save those pieces, but I love them!

In fact, I just spied a cool crumb paper-piecing pattern on Quiltville that I want to try. Bonnie Hunter drafted up a block in EQ software. Since I don't have EQ, I dug out my graph paper and ruler and came up with a block of my own to use my crumbs. (Now I'm regretting having shipped most of my crumbs to TX! agh!

But, here's a picture of my crumb bin before. It was crammed full and shoved in; just packed to the gills. My DD loves to play with these little pieces, too. I only saved a handful or two from shipment to work with until I move. Ah well, every project makes crumbs and chunks, so I'm sure I will have more in no time.


Here's the block I drew up.

 These should finish at 4 inches. I'm still playing with the inside and the color pattern, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment